Kohlrabi. Ever seen it? Ever heard of it? Most likely, you haven't cooked with it or even seen it raw. Please allow me to make the introductions. Kohlrabi, meet your new bffs. New bffs meet kohlrabi. A less than attractive root vegetable, it is either a beautiful green or vibrant purple with lovely leaves coming out the top. After being peeled, the inside flesh is a pristine white with a crisp flavor that hints to me at fennel and pear.
It is a very common vegetable in Germany, which is exactly where I happen to eat it most often and also where this recipe comes from. Mr. Giggles mother made this recipe one afternoon and it was so lovely, so light and refreshing that I find myself craving it now when I've had a heavy meal the night before or just when I want something crisp, satisfying and flavorful.
Shredded Kohlrabi Salad
Serves 2-3 as a light starter
- • 1 large kohlrabi, peeled
- • 2 T. olive oil
- • light squeeze honey
- • 1-2 T. fresh lemon juice
- • salt and pepper, to taste
- • 2-3 T. fresh minced chive
DIRECTIONS1. Shred the kohlrabi with a grater, or push through a food processor with the shredding blade on.
2. Add the olive oil, the light squeeze of honey and fresh lemon juice to the bottom of a medium bowl. Whisk to blend and then add the shredded kohlrabi to the bowl. Gently toss with a fork to combine the kohlrabi with the dressing.
3. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and the fresh minced chive. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with more salt, pepper or honey.
happy, healthy eating! ~Kendra